FHA Requirements: Your Loan Checklist
Prepare for a Smooth Application Process
Before you start the FHA loan process, be prepared to provide some information to your loan officer. Have it ready now to save time later.
- Address to your place of residence (past two years)
- Social Security numbers
- Names and location of your employers (past two years)
- Gross monthly salary at your current job(s)
- Pertinent information for all checking and savings accounts
- Pertinent information for all open loans
- Complete information for other real estate you own
- Approximate value of all personal property
- Certificate of Eligibility and DD-214 (for veterans only)
- Current check stubs and your W-2 forms (past two years)
- Personal tax returns (past two years), current income statement and business balance sheet for self-employed individuals
In addition, you will need to pay for a credit report and appraisal of the property.
FHA NEWS and RELATED ARTICLES
Some borrowers come to the FHA loan process with a long credit history, while other borrowers are just getting started. Is it possible for a borrower be turned down for an FHA loan because of a lack of credit history?
When the Department of Housing and Urban Development announced the FHA’s Back to Work program, it was very good news for any potential FHA loan applicant who may have experienced previous financial hardship as a result of the recession.
When you apply for a new purchase FHA home loan, FHA loan rules say you must list your income and employment details. This lets your loan officer accurately determine your debt-to-income ratio, using calculations based on your verifiable income.
One not-so-common question about FHA loans still comes up often enough to discuss in detail. Some FHA loan applicants want to know if they can purchase a residence from another family member using an FHA insured mortgage.
Except for obligations specifically excluded by state law, the debts of the non-purchasing spouse must be included in the borrower’s qualifying ratios if certain conditions are met.